Sunday, March 9, 2008

20th American Creativity Association conference, 'Creativity Across Cultures', 25-29 Feb 2008

Don't people love immersing themselves in a highly creative environment such as attending a conference or workshop- where common interest are hot topics of deep conversation. This is the first time that ACA was held outside of US and where else, but Singapore. It was such a exhilerating experience of meeting great creative folks. Tony Buzan shared on how the future of learning is changing "Creativity = infinity + memory", Antony Le Storti, Ideatects, inc., on the principles of innovation, Dr Herbert Hauptman (Nobel winner, Chemistry, 1985) on his insights of “The Making of a Genius”, and the list goes on. Special mention goes to my advisor Mary Murdock, from Buffalo State University of New York, on providing time to discuss our learning.

On a personal note, it was an extraordinarily memorable experience cos it started on my 33rd Birthday (yes, 25 Feb) and what better way to a rousing start to the conference with a birthday song from the delegates (as an ice breaker since the guest of honor was late). All thanks to Suzzana Ramos who "sabo-ed" me la!

1 comment:

Connie Harryman said...

This was my first trip to Singapore. I arrived at midnight after many, many hours on two planes. It was well worth the effort and expense. I am telling all my friends in the U.S. and abroad to go to Singapore. It is a land of enchantment, of warm hospitality, and sights to behold. The people of Singapore were so happy to see us and so sad when we left. They made us promise to go back, and so we will.

Creativity is about having the power to change one's life. It is about a mind shift and a culture shift. As an American I have often been isolated from many aspects of the world. Now that I have been to Singapore, I have wanderlust. Perhaps I will now go to China with my new friends. I will bring my friends from India to the U.S. to launch a book tour and bring a message of creativity to the CEO's of corporate America. Pavan Choudary spoke and taught me, "When you are sinking, become a submarine." He took us on a Journey into Wisdom.

I took a trip to Batam, the gateway to Indonesia. My eyes were opened in a way I never expected. I grew up very, very poor. I thought this, until I saw the living conditions of the underclass in Indonesia. I then experienced a culture and mind shift. Now I must tell everyone, "When I was young, I grew up and was very rich and privileged." I never knew hunger, I always had shelter, and I never had to do terrible things to survive. I am a different person now.

Thank you to all the wonderful people of Singapore for making this conference happen. My heart is filled with joy and gratitude. Creativity is a journey. Creativity is the podium where all of the greatest minds in the international creative knowledge arena spoke. Creativity is Kirpal Singh of Singapore Management University who initiated the idea of having this conference outside of the U.S. Creativity is about new friends, like John Yeo, who made Singapore come alive for me.
Thank you and I am coming back!

Connie Harryman
Greenville, South Carolina, USA