Thursday, March 20, 2008

Act through versus Think through


People have asked me as the director, how did this play all got started. To cut the long story short, I was initially just advising on what are some approaches the team could embark. However, the journey evolved from seeding of an idea to taking ownership of the idea. It didn't come easy. There were plenty of risk, especially the circumstances and context of the church's history and culture. Nonetheless, I always felt that given the clear vision and the right support, any risk could be turned into an opportunity.

The original script that we adopted did not work. From much argument and trying of different styles, I was at my crossroad. However, the exhaustion and frustration led me back into my core- my love for my family. That, I realised became the strongest driving force for any creativity- where your passion lies, there your strength will be. Great things came around: new partnerships were forged, ground-breaking concepts tested along the way, inclusion of strong and experienced (and willing) actors, etc. So much I could give thanks for. As for the inspiration, it all lies in my personal aspirations of the kind of life I hope my son will have one day- one of courage, humility, openess, integrity.

If I was desribe my own creativity journey throughout this process, I think I really experienced what I "preach" on the brain-based theory:
1. Creating learning environments that fully immerse self in an open and honest experience (Orchestrated immersion)
2. Eliminate fear of failure, maintaining highly challenging environment (Relaxed alertness)
3. Allow self to consolidate and internalise information by actively processing it. (Active processing)

Concluding my journey, I realised that it was the ability to see new connections and thereby making new meaning of each experience was the key to bring about the final outcome.

“Today the left brain capabilities that powered the information age are necessary but no longer sufficient. The “right brain” qualities of inventiveness, empathy, joyfulness and meaning – increasingly determine who flourishers and who flounders. …professional success and personal fulfillment now requires a whole new mind.” (Daniel Pink, p3)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

SOme responses from my facebook
(http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=782727&id=748497641&ref=nf)

Carol Loi Pui Wan wrote
at 11:16pm 21/3/08

"I had thought tt this was a gd pic & wanted to comment on this the last time I saw your album, but now tt I hv seen the play, I hv to say tt this was my fav scene - brought tears to my eyes.

Partly becos of the story, & partly becos I was touched by the actor - he was perspiring & panting when the spotlight first shone on him (I think he must have ran from the stage all the way to the entrance of the hall?).

Bee Chong & I were really impressed with the very high quality of the play; everything from the lighting, videos, music, script & cast, were very professional. I liked the diverse mix of the cast & the use of projection screen, which adds an interesting dimension.


Congrats on the success tonight. I saw 2 other ladies near me bringing out tissues at the end of the play. I thought the sermon linked up with the play really well too. I am sure many have been blessed. & I am sure it will be a success tomorrow too.

Well done!!"

To God be the glory!!
I suddenly realised that I need to hear the thoughts aftermath, not just the good but how was the story impactful/ touched any individuals .... I need to find my own "closure" to move on...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I am glad Turner came along. These were his words in my facebook...(less the praise la...too shy la)

"It was my first time watching this kind of show and best of all, its in chinese. After watching the show, although the storyline seems 'ordinary' given the background of my current students, nonetheless there were other questions arising within me.

Questions such as why am I working? It has brought me beyond the quest for material needs.Somehow or rather, there seems to be some remote similarity between the character and me although not in the story sense. Hope you find this reflection useful. Hehe...enjoy your weekend!!"

Carol said...

You must share your brain-based theory with me!!!

wendy said...

It's been a while since our church did a proper theatrical production and so I was really psyched to watch [Family*Doors] and indeed it did not disappoint!

I was very touched by the acting, especially that of Patrick and Xiwen. The last scene where he walked down the centre aisle towards his father was quite the tear jerker! And without even using words, the actors managed to convey all these emotions. Although I knew the actors as friends, I was able to suspend my disbelief and thoroughly enjoy the mime because it was THAT convincing.

Of course, I wished the backdrop could have been a little better, you know, instead of having the white cloth + projection screen...I wished the entire arch area was covered which would have totally increased wow factor. (but thats just me la..: p)

I think what was really good was how you guys managed to develop a full story out of such a simple (and overused) premise and made it into a full, yet refreshing production to watch.

At the end of the play, I was reminded of
'Footprints'...and how we have matured (maybe more you than me..ahhaha) since then. I'm truly inspired to participate in your next production! : )

God is good huh?