Thursday, March 13, 2008

Can Singapore have a "Hellerup Skole" of our own




Deeply inspired by Lars Kolind and I believe Singapore neeeds a school where students and teachers can ‘co-create’ this whole new learning experience. Flatten the hieracrchy.... no principals, just head master. Let the students choose their own the project leader... I wish this can be a reality for Singapore in the very near future. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhdqWXi2x3I&feature=related

My dream is to have every child explore and chart their own learning, beyond our prescribed syllabus. As part of the secretariat of Curriculum 2015, we may have need to change our exploration from “how would a globalize, world class curriculum look like in 2015?” to “How would we envision a child in 2015”.

In this trip, I am really questioning what we understand of student-centred teaching and learning. Are we really doing it? I completely see the value of exams, are we over hung up with assessment issues, rather than looking at the ‘processes’ in our curriculum. Who I am today, is not the grades but the experience of education that has make me to be myself. The school visits in the past few days just affirmed that there are many opportunities to synergise and build new holistic experiences and ideas across different disciplines and areas of knowledge. I see in the Danish kids their inspiration to create and collaborate. I sincerely believe that technology can help integrate art, science, music and even engineering in the most creative ways.

My vision includes working alongside with teachers on how we can learn with the students, yet not compromising on the good aspirations of our Singapore education or losing the culture or discipline. I believe whole heartedly in personalize learning, cos I am not one student whom conformed to the traditional system. Innovative design through collaboration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG2uOUBUEQ0&feature=related This freedom to find their own voice and own place allows each child to learn respect and trust.

But I am not sure if the system will accept my radical ideas. Progressive really? Actually its the fundamentals to what education should be all about- nurturing a complete child. That simple.

1 comment:

bestonline323 said...

"My dream is to have every child explore and chart their own learning, beyond our prescribed syllabus. As part of the secretariat of Curriculum 2015, we may have need to change our exploration from “how would a globalize, world class curriculum look like in 2015?” to “How would we envision a child in 2015”." that is beautiful i think if everyones dream was with good intentions like yours the world would be a perfect place.


-Ally
Teeth Whitening